365 days of Software freedom

Free Software Foundation Europe contact at fsfe.org
Mon Oct 24 17:27:53 CEST 2022

Dear Aleix Pol Gonzalez,

With the end of the year, our “Software Freedom in Europe” report is released.

During the last 12 months, FSFE has continued to work to promote the use of Free
Software in Europe. We have addressed technological sustainability, continued
to fight for 'Public Money? Public Code!', and provided help with Free Software
licences. Besides, we have advocated for the Digital Markets Act (DMA) and
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Act at the European level, and defended Router
Freedom in European countries - among other activities that have created public
awareness.

As the next generations are the future, we are also reaching them with a youth
European coding competition and we have published the book “Ada & Zangemann –
A Tale of Software, Skateboards, and Raspberry Ice Cream” which can be enjoyed
by young and old readers.

Let's catch a glimpse of our achievements over the last few months:

# SOFTWARE SUSTAINABILITY
FSFE has been shedding light on Free Software as a central aspect of
technological sustainability. Free Software allows users to replace software
and operating systems in order to reuse, re-purpose, repair, or upcycle
hardware. With interoperable devices and Open Standards, technical

infrastructures can be adapted efficiently and according to local needs.
In the past months, we have provided several policy recommendations at EU level
to make sure that the dedicated policies use Free Software to ensure a
sustainable European technological sector.
   More information:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#software-sustainability

# UPCYCLING ANDROID
In November 2021, we launched this initiative to help people to flash their
phones with Free Software operating systems and promoting the right for every
user to install any software on any device.
The Upcycling Android initiative offers workshops and develops policy
recommendations.
   - Check this video about Upcycling your android:
   https://media.fsfe.org/w/kGvs3JNADvvQfkC1dR9FGr

In this context, we have also provided input in relation to the redefinition of
the EU ecodesign criteria in effect for environmentally friendly electronics.
Therefore, we have published an open letter about "The right to install any
software on any device”.
   - Sign our Open Letter:
   https://fsfe.org/activities/upcyclingandroid/openletter.html

   - Learn more on this topic:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#upcycling-android

# ‘PUBLIC MONEY? PUBLIC CODE!’
Software created using taxpayers’ money should be released as Free Software.
The FSFE actively campaigns for ‘Public Money? Public Code!’ at both European
and national level.
   - Public Money? Public Code!’
   https://fsfe.org/activities/publiccode/publiccode.html

Moreover, we are advocating to include Free Software (FS) in the EU legislation,
for example trying to make sure that the FS is part of the Declaration of
Digital Rights and Principles.
   - EU Parliament votes for FS in AI resolution:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220503-01.html

We run electoral activities asking political parties their stance on Free
Software and we showcase good practices from public entities which already use
Free Software, such as Re at di
   - Check what has been done in different EU countries such as Italy, Spain or
   France!
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#pmpc

   -Joint open letter (DE) to urge German politicians to start implementing
   their plans regarding Free Software usage:
   https://download.fsfe.org/policy/letters/20220328-German-Budget-and-
   Free-Software-2022.de.pdf

   - Re at di – regional.digital, an inter-communal cooperation of 9 southern
   German cities, that are meeting their common need through collaborative
   development using FS:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220602-01.html

   - Find more information on this issue:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#pmpc

# ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE AND FREE SOFTWARE
Artificial Intelligence can be more verifiable, trustworthy, and innovative with
Free Software. Transparency in AI technologies is necessary to test them,
evaluate their results, and improve them. The FSFE involves experts in the field
of AI, makes policy recommendations, and advocates in AI-related legislation in
the European Union,following the AI Act to ensure that Free Software is
included.
   - Artificial Intelligence (AI) Act: Free Software is key!
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220330-01.html

   - Find out how AI can be more verifiable, trustworthy, innovative with Free
   Software:
   https://download.fsfe.org/campaigns/AIandFS/fsfe_AIandFreesoftware.pdf

   - Read our interview with Vincent Lequertier, researcher of artificial
   intelligence for healthcare:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20211209-01.html

   - Learn more about what we have done in the AI field:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#artificial-intelligence

# ROUTER FREEDOM: KEEPING YOUR GATEWAY TO THE INTERNET FREE
In 2022 we have continued making regulators understand that Router Freedom
should be consolidated in legislation. We worked on several issues/challenges,
ranging from multi-stakeholder initiatives to bilateral cooperation with
regulators and strategic support from partner organisations in Europe, among
others freeing fiber connections. In this scenario, we have been collaborating
with regulators to develop better policies that take the interests of end-users
into consideration.
   - Find out our concerns with regulators planning to exclude Fiber to the Home
   constructions (FTTH) from Router Freedom:
   https://download.fsfe.org/routers/fsfe-eett-ntp1-en.pdf

   - Read our report analysing the fiber market in Spain:
   https://download.fsfe.org/routers/fsfe-ftth-rf-es.pdf

   - Check our calls for digital sustainability in the Telecom sector,
   regarding regulatory issues of Router Freedom for the Body of European
   Regulators for Electronic Communications (BEREC):
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220510-01.html

   - Do not forget to participate in our Router Freedom survey:
   https://survey.fsfe.org/index.php/628449

   - Check what we have done in diverse EU countries such as Greece, Austria,
   Italy and The Netherlands and more info on this topic:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#router-freedom

# DEVICE NEUTRALITY: REGAINING CONTROL OVER OUR DEVICES
Large device manufacturers, vendors and system providers are increasingly l
ocking devices down, restricting end-users’ freedoms, so the FSFE has kicked off
the Device Neutrality initiative to promote strategies for regaining control
over devices.
   - More info:
   https://fsfe.org/activities/deviceneutrality/index

This year we have mainly dedicated our efforts for Device Neutrality in the EU
legislation at the Digital Markets Act. As a summary of our involvement, we have
prepared an analysis on how Free Software is a crucial element for the law’s
implementation.
   - Find out more:
   https://fsfe.org/activities/dma/dma.html

Besides, the FSFE is on guard about a Radio Lockdown Directive. The EU Radio
Equipment Directive may make it impossible to install a custom piece of software
on most radio devices.
   - More info:
   https://fsfe.org/activities/radiodirective/index.html

   - Do you want to know more?
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#router-freedom

# LEGAL SUPPORT FOR FREE SOFTWARE PROGRAMS
The FSFE offers help with legal questions about  Free Software. We answer
licensing questions, we provide technical support to make licensing easier, we
provide legal education materials on Free Software, and we organise the annual
Free Software Legal and Licensing Workshop (LLW).
   - Check our License Questions website and the FAQ on Free Software licensing:
   https://fsfe.org/activities/licence-questions/licence-questions.en.html

   - Legal and Licensing Workshop:
   https://fsfe.org/activities/ln/llw.html

We have organized the first Legal Education Day (LED) to provide basic legal
education on the legal context of Free Software: copyright law and the concept
of copyleft. Useful topics for software developers followed, such as license
compatibility, trademarks, and containers. LED is going to take place once again
this year at SFSCon.
   - More info:
   https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/led.html

In the framework of the European Commission’s NGI0 initiative, we have continued
providing recommendations to achieve REUSE compliance, as well as assisting with
legal and licensing questions that they may have. Thus far, we have worked with
almost 300 participating software projects.

   - Next Generation Internet Zero:
   https://fsfe.org/activities/ngi/ngi.html

By the end of 2022 three EU projects  in which we are taking part, are starting:
NGI0 Zooom, NGI0 Entrust, and NGI0 Review. As in NGI0, we will participate
providing legal support for a wide range of software from all over Europe.

# REUSE: MAKING LICENSING EASIER
Have you ever been confused about how to properly declare your copyright and
license information in your Free Software project? With REUSE we try to make all
of this easier for everyone: individual developers, users, businesses, and
re-users. REUSE is a set of best practices and tools with the goal to declare
the copyright and licensing information of all files in a repository in a
pragmatic and sustainable way. On a large scale, this makes Free Software more
transparent and safer to re-use.
Thanks to our volunteers and external contributors we released version 1.0.0 of
the REUSE helper tool that makes the initial adoption of the best practices in
a repository more comfortable.
   -Find it here:
   https://lists.fsfe.org/pipermail/reuse/2022q2/000143.html

Related to it, we have assisted projects with understanding their current
licensing and copyright situation and making it  unambiguous and perfectly
human- and machine- readable with the help of REUSE and we have presented the
REUSE activity at several events.

# YOUTH HACKING 4 FREEDOM: A CODING COMPETITION
This year we have started a new initiative, the coding competition Youth
Hacking 4 Freedom, aiming to raise awareness of Free Software among young
generations. We want to encourage them to tinker and experiment with technology,
 giving them the chance to discuss and network with key actors from computer
 science and Free Software fields. The winners are rewarded with a trip to
 Brussels and a cash prize, which might turn into an investment for own project.

This first year of the competition was a success with over hundred teenagers
from 25 different countries registered. The participants had five months to
come up with a Free Software project and at the end an independent jury choose
the six winners.
   - Learn more about the winners:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20221004-01.html

   - Register for the new edition!
   https://fsfe.org/activities/yh4f/index.html

   - More info on this topic:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#yh4f

# ADA & ZANGEMANN - A TALE OF SOFTWARE, SKATEBOARDS, AND RASPBERRY ICE CREAM
Our book “Ada & Zangemann – A Tale of Software, Skateboards, and Raspberry
Ice Cream” was published last year in German under a Creative Commons license,

getting really good reviews. The  book tells the story of the famous inventor
Zangemann and the girl Ada, a curious tinkerer. Ada begins to experiment with
hardware and software, and in the process realizes how crucial it is for her and
others to control technology. The English version can already be pre-ordered.
   - Order the book:
   https://nostarch.com/ada-zangemann

After its publication, our German-speaking community donated over 60 books to
libraries in Austria, Germany and Switzerland and we distributed 2750 copies of
a non-profit Ukrainian translation of the book. Last but not least, Matthias
Kirschner has participated in several book readings.
   - Find out more about the book:
   https://fsfe.org/activities/childrensbook/index.html

# FREE SOFTWARE IN EDUCATION
Free Software in education is important to help students to learn information
technology concepts, understand technology and acquire coding skills. Also,
with Free Software development students can learn the value of collaboratively
working together for a common good.
   - Why students should learn using Free Software and why educational should
   institutes use Free Software:
   https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/education/index.html

This year we have carried out several activities showing the importance of Free
Software in education in several countries such as Sweden, The Netherlands,

Spain, Germany or Switzerland.
   - Check our different activities involving the local groups:
  https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#education

# WHAT IS FREE SOFTWARE? - OUR WORK ON PUBLIC AWARENESS
To make software freedom a widespread reality, people need to know what Free
Software is, therefore at FSFE we are constantly working on public awareness,
explaining Free Software to new audiences.
   - Check and share our  video ‘What is Free Software (Open Source)?’
       English version - https://media.fsfe.org/w/xs29yhLxSP1uKLYkSeoKKp
       German version - https://media.fsfe.org/w/ndxFckPP8yWhMfnPcsvEkM

One more time, on 14 February, people around the world celebrated the “I Love
Free Software Day”. This year, and for the first time, we have held a themed
event dedicated to Free Software Day, which took us into the world of Free
Software games.
   - More info about ILoveFS22:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220310-01.html

Throughout the year we have continued with our Software Freedom Podcasts
   - Listen to all our episodes here:
   https://fsfe.org/news/podcast.html

# THE FSFE COMMUNITY ACROSS EUROPE

The FSFE helps the Free Software community around Europe to take action,
promoting Free Software, and stay up to date. Our community is organised in
local groups, country teams, and thematic groups. The local groups and country
teams discuss local issues and often create local initiatives. Every action
undertaken by the FSFE becomes stronger thanks to our volunteers who spread our
message across Europe.
   - Find out more about our local groups in 2022:
   https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#community

# AND MORE!
   - Every year we participate in different and diverse conferences around
   Europe, among others Europe's most prominent annual Free Software conference
   FOSDEM.
	- FSFE at the FOSDEM conference in 2022:
	https://fsfe.org/news/2022/news-20220928-01.html#fosdem

   - Remember that we are also offering promotional material at no cost to
   people who want to spread the message of software freedom. We sent out 324
   promotional packages for free to 23 countries! This year we enriched our
   collection with stickers for Upcycling Android, Router Freedom, and Ada and
   Zangemann. Furthermore, we offer a collection of merchandise so that people
   can show their affiliation to the FSFE.
	-FSFE promotional material:
	https://fsfe.org/contribute/spreadtheword

	-FSFE merchandising:

	https://fsfe.org/order/index.html

   - The General Assembly of the FSFE met for its annual meeting on 26 November
   2021. During the meeting the attendees discussed long term strategies and
   challenges for promoting software freedom and held elections for the FSFE
   Council. Matthias Kirschner, Heiki Lõhmus, and Patrick Ohnewein were
   re-elected for two years to the positions of President, Vice-President,
   and Financial Officer respectively.

   - The FSFE's technical infrastructure is in better shape than ever before.
   It provides digital sovereignty and privacy to our organisation, the FSFE's
   employees, and volunteers as well as to other users of our services as we
   use fully Free Software on our own bare metal servers.

# JOIN THE MOVEMENT & BECOME A SUPPORTER
The FSFE would be nothing without its contributors. And it would be so much
more with you! There are many ways you can contribute: support us financially,
join a local group, participate in our events to meet like-minded people,
translate our articles, or offer technical support. Do not forget to subscribe
to our Newsletter to stay in touch.
   - How to contribute:
   https://fsfe.org/contribute/contribute.html

   - Subscribe to our Newsletter to stay in touch:
   https://fsfe.org/news/newsletter.html

   - Become a supporter!
   https://my.fsfe.org/donate

------------------

In recent months, FSFE's community has made significant achievements in its
fight for software freedom. However, there is still a long way to go both on t
he political level, e.g. in relation to device neutrality; promoting the use of
free software in all different public spheres and making its advantages known
to the younger generation; and helping developers with the various legal
problems they may encounter.

With your support we can continue with our work, advocating for Software
Freedom in Europe and fostering it, bit by bit for the next decades.

Thank you for being there!

Best regards,

--
Matthias Kirschner