Fwd: [Press] On Tuesday, 22.11.22 let us open up our ecodesign letter for individual signatures

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Nov 18 23:07:45 CET 2022

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Alexander Sander <alex.sander at fsfe.org>
Date: Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 3:54 PM
Subject: [Press] On Tuesday, 22.11.22 let us open up our ecodesign
letter for individual signatures
To: <aleixpol at kde.org>

Dear Aleix Pol,

your organisation Barcelona Free Software Group and more than 100 civil
society organisations across sectors, from the protection of the
environment to (digital) consumer protection, from developer communities
to tech companies, have already signed our open letter about "The
universal right to install any software on any device" [1].

Now the European Week for Waste Reduction (#EWWR) is about to start, and
we like to draw attention to the developing negotiations around European
ecodesign and, with it, the role that software plays in the longevity of
hardware. The Commission is about to propose several related draft
regulations and directives and the "Sustainable Products Initiative" is
entering the European Parliament and Council for its first reading. It
is time to get ready and make our voice heard!

To boost attention towards our common message we now enable individuals
across Europe to sign the open letter. This way we can show stakeholders
how many people care about our topic and enable individuals to identify
with our message.

The European Week for Waste Reduction is running throughout the whole
next week. *** On Tuesday, 22 November, we at the FSFE are going live
with the signature form and after that we kindly invite you as a
supporting organisation to ask your own community to sign the letter and
support your work. *** You can choose any day from Tuesday to Friday,
just make sure it is still the European Week for Waste Reduction. Also
you are free to choose your communication channels, be it on your
website, in your social media channels or on your mailing lists, any
help is very welcome.

To help you prepare the message you find a media kit with icons, links
and example toot/tweet etc at https://share.fsfe.org/s/ZLmcSWXZmKeJCHR

We all would be very grateful for your support. If you have any question
do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Erik Albers

[1] Background:

During the summer the list of supporting organisations of our open
letter about "The universal right to install any software on any device"
has grown up to  more than 100 organisations. We want users to have the
right to hardware and to keep using their software as long as they want.
Together we demand that:

- Users have the right to freely choose operating systems and software
running on their devices
- Users have the right to freely choose between service providers to
connect their devices with
- Devices are interoperable and compatible with open standards
- Source code of drivers, tools, and interfaces are published under a
free license

--
Alexander Sander - FSFE Senior Policy Consultant
Free Software Foundation Europe e.V.