Open Letter about the universal right to install any software on any device

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Mon Mar 28 10:40:21 CEST 2022

Dear associates,

at the Free Software Foundation Europe we are currently running a campaign
called "Upcycling Android" to help people understand software obsolescence and
how to fix it using Free Software operating systems: www.upcyclingandroid.org

We believe that the right to repair and the longevity of our products is
deeply connected with access to software. The universal right to install any
software on any device can be crucial for a more sustainable digital society.

In the upcoming months there will be multiple legislative proposals on
European level, aiming at updating the European ecodesign of products. We like
to use this historic chance to explain decision-takers that Free Software and
the access to the hardware are crucial to the question of how long or how
often a device can be used or reused.

We are about to publish an Open Letter to form a broad alliance of civil
society organizations from the tech sector and the environmental sector as
well as companies who are supporting the cause. Together we can be a strong
voice for users freedom and the longevity of our hardware. In short, these
demands are:

* Users have the right to choose operating systems and software
* Users have the right to freely choose between services
* Devices are interoperable and compatible with open standards.
* Source code of drivers, tools and interfaces are published under a free
   license.

you can read whole letter here: https://share.fsfe.org/s/MaNyPtTWNjGgxcm

We would love to see your organisation giving your support and joining the
movement by co-signing the letter. In that case we put your logo at the end of
the letter as your signature. Please let us know about your support until next
Friday, April 8.

Best regards,
    Erik

--
No one shall ever be forced to use non-free software
Erik Albers | Programme Manager Sustainability | FSFE