Router Freedom engagement in your country

Lucas Lasota lucas.lasota at fsfe.org
Thu May 20 13:55:10 CEST 2021

Dear associate organisations,

Router Freedom is one of the FSFE's core policy activities. In the last
months, there have been a lot of new developments in the European level,
due to a reform in the telecommunications law. New rules will impact the
right of consumers to choose and use their own routers and modems[1].

This legal reform has been now being implemented by EU member states. In
particular, national regulatory agencies are the competent bodies to
decide and enforce the rules. Since 2019, we have been in contact with
the regulators, but the implementation process is not uniform and has
varied a lot across the countries. Therefore, *we need your help to
engage our community with Router Freedom and raise awareness for this
topic in your country*.

We have prepared a comprehensive package[2] with all relevant
information about router freedom and how to engage with the community
and decision makers. The package contains a summary of arguments, a
monitoring map, a wiki page and - very important for us - a end-user
survey to map the overall state of this right in the EU.

There are a broad range of activities and initiatives that you could
endeavor to spread the word and, most importantly, help us in the
decision making process with the regulatory body of your country. I
would love to discuss with you the format of activities that can be
organized, and for now I imagine that the following initiatives could
carry the message further:

  * Online workshops, meetings and "policy cafés" for gathering people,
    explaining the basics and conducting discussions. For that we have
    our BBB instance that could be used in case you need an online
    instance. I would love being of help here;
  * Talks in local events, meetings in hackerspaces, digital rights
    groups, Free Software local groups and consumer organisations. We
    would love to help you participating in events you would organise or
    be invited. Count on us for organizing or taking part in such
    initiatives;
  * Contact with local media, as newspapers, tech-related magazines and
    websites, radio and social media prominent figures. For that we
    would love to collaborate with and support you in case you need help
    writing an article, or being invited to a podcast, etc;
  * Contact local policy leaders as members of communal councils,
    parliaments and political parties. Router Freedom can be
    communicated to members of all political spectrum and its arguments
    don't need to be polarized to only one fraction or ideology. For
    this we could also definitively help you sorting this out.

Perhaps as a first step I would love hearing back from you and would
really appreciate when you:

  * inform me about other organisations and contacts that are involved
    in promoting digital rights and consumer protection that we could
    get in touch and send our material;
  * take part in our router freedom survey[3] and ask other people and
    organisations to do so.

I thank you very much already and looking forward working with you.

Kind regards,

Lucas

[1] https://fsfe.org/news/2020/news-20200601-01.en.html

[2] https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210330-01.html